The mirror project sort of took on a life of its own. It put me in a bad mood for about 24 hours. Let me recap the mishap for you. Initially I thought it would be fun to add some of that brilliant cerulean blue color from the inspiration photograph I used last week. In that post, I even cautioned that a color that strong and tropical might just look a little out-of-place in Seattle. I thought using it in small doses would be more appropriate. I may have been wrong. This is the color I tried first on each of the mirrors:
So, the teal thing didn’t pan out… it added a pop of color, sure, but I also felt suddenly transported into a Technicolor dream. So, back to the store I went, and I bought a light blue paint and a burnt umber, just in case. Here is a photo of what the second attempt at color looked like:
I painted the round mirror with one coat of this Jamaican turquoise, and this is when I started pulling out my hair. After considering painting the things just plain old brown, I finally decided to temper the light blue with the burnt umber, and got a much better effect. The blue is grayed down and easy on the eyes, but still punctuates the otherwise boring walls. At last, I am pleased!